At Cheyney, we realize that making the transition from high school to college can be challenging. That’s why it is our commitment to support you from your freshmen year through graduation and beyond. That’s where our Success Coaches come in.
This innovative and proactive approach to advising can greatly enhance your ability to persist through graduation.
Our Success Coaches are here to inspire your growth through meaningful mentorship, intervention, outreach and community building. Your Coach will provide you with opportunities to maximize your potential through self‐development, self-care and campus involvement, while you work toward completion of your degree.
Your Success Coach will also introduce you to resources and explore strategies for your success in the classroom and beyond. As a student, you are the expert on your life. As such, you will work with your Success Coach to determine the direction and focus of the coaching.
While helping you succeed in your academic pursuits is our overarching goal, our aim is also for you to be successful on campus and in life. Your Success Coach is looking forward to helping you do so.
At Cheyney, we’re committed to the overall development of each student. We seek to inspire growth and the impact our students have in the Cheyney community through meaningful mentorship, intervention, outreach and community building while providing opportunities for students to maximize their potential through self-development, personal care and involvement.
Students have the opportunity to work with a team of Success Coaches to receive structured support and guidance. Our support is provided through:
- 1 on 1 coaching
- Student-centered workshops and activities to address professional development, academic success, life skills and other educational topics
- A family-like environment and support system to ensure academic success, timely degree completion and desirable University experience.
- Helping students explore goals, interests and how to overcome barriers to their success
- Connecting students to opportunities, activities and services relative to their development and success
- Peer Mentoring
All students are encouraged to connect with us to find a Success Coach based on their academic major.(Not sure who your LC is please, see our Staff page.) We hold a number of activities and workshops throughout the year in addition to collaborating with other offices and departments on campus, including:
- Wellness Weeks (Academic, Career, Lifestyle, etc.)
- Kickback with the Coaches
- Student Development workshops
- Diversity programming and Cultural Enrichment
- Mid-term and Finals preparation
Students can contact their Success Coach be scheduling an appointment via phone, email or stopping by our office on the second floor of Marcus Foster Student Life Center.
§ Success Coach – Laura Vargas, M.S.
- Academic Area: Natural and Applied Sciences · Email: LVargas@cheyney.edu
- Cherished Quote: “Doing What I Can Under the Circumstances “- Sarah Dessen
§ Success Coach – Tracey A. Smith, M.Ed., CTRS
- Academic Area: Professional Studies · Email: TSmith@cheyney.edu
- Cherished Quote: “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it” – Maya Angelou
§ Success Coach – Katrina A. Banks, M.S.
- Academic Area: Humanities · Email: KBanks@cheyney.edu
- Cherished Quote: “ I believe in living a poetic life, an art full life. Everything we do from the way we raise our children to the way we welcome our friends is part of a large canvas we are creating….” – Maya Angelou
The Latest Coronovirus (COVID-19) News