At its founding in 1837, the University was named the African Institute. However, the name was changed several weeks later to the Institute for Colored Youth (ICY).
In subsequent years, the University was renamed Cheyney Training School for Teachers (July 1914), Cheyney State Teacher’s College (1951), Cheyney State College (1959), and finally Cheyney University of Pennsylvania (1983).
History of Cheyney University
Emlen Hall (l) and Humphreys Hall (r), Circa 1900
Aerial photo of the Cheyney Quadrangle (aka; the Quad) circa 1920s
Emlen Hall reading room, early 1900s
Exploring A National Treasure
A presentation giving a detailed history of Cheyney University of Pennsylvania. Acknowledgements and Sources: Phil Pagliaro and F. Keith Bingham – Photos and Template; A Living Legend – The History of Cheyney University 1837-1951, Dr. Charlene Conyers; www.cheyney.edu.
For more information regarding Cheyney University archives, please contact F. Keith Bingham at (610) 399 2557.