For Prospective Students
To be admitted into the Cheyney University Honors Academy as a first-year student, you must have an overall high-school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
For Transfer Students
To be admitted into the Cheyney University Honors Academy as a transfer student, you must have an overall college GPA of 3.65 or higher and have at least 24 transferrable credits.
The honors curriculum is governed by 7 learning outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate the interdisciplinary skill to analyze and solve complex questions.
- Students will demonstrate an elevated sense of awareness or racial diversity and social justice.
- Students will develop the ability to do independent research or creative projects and present their findings to a public audience.
- Students will display an appreciation for civility and respect and understand the moral obligation of being an educated citizen in a diverse and global community.
- Students will exhibit leadership and social responsibility through academic, cultural, and social activities throughout campus.
- Students will enhance classroom learning with related co-curricular experiences to best serve the local (campus) and global communities.
- Students will demonstrate active engagement in the promotion of the mission, core values, and learning experiences of Cheyney University.
These learning outcomes will be confronted directly in class through more than 27 credit hours of honors coursework. The required honors courses are:
- HEN 112 Honors English I (3 credit hours)
- HEN 113 Honors English II (3 credit hours)
- HEN 114 Honors Speech (3 credit hours)
- HPH 110 Honors Critical Thinking (3 credit hours)
- AAS 210 Honors African American Experience in a Global Context (3 credit hours)
- In addition to these 15 credit hours, each CU Honors Academy member is required to take 3 credit hours from each of the four academic areas on campus (a total of 12 credit hours)
- One Honors Humanities course (3 credit hours)
- One Natural Science course (3 credit hours)
- One Social Science course (3 credit hours)
- One Education & Professional Studies course (3 credit hours)
- Finally, each member of the Honors Academy will complete the Capstone Project and Presentation
All members of the CU Honors Academy must always maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 each semester and an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0. Students who fall below this threshold for one semester will be placed on probation. Students who fail to achieve a 3.0 GPA for consecutive semesters will be suspended from the Honors Academy. Every member of the Academy must be a full-time student, meaning they must take at least 12 credit hours each semester and 24 credit hours for the academic year. Below are the complete GPA requirements for Honors members:
- Freshmen (0-29 completed credits) – must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 with no semester under a 2.5
- Sophomores (30-59 completed credits) – must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 with no semester under a 2.75
- Juniors and Seniors (60+ completed credits) – must maintain a 3.25 overall GPA with no semester under a 3.0
In addition to satisfying the honors curriculum, members of the Honors Academy must fulfill community service/volunteerism requirements. The Cheyney University Honors Academy believes that exploring the world around you is an essential part of your undergraduate education. This includes experiences both outside and inside of the classroom. Community service and volunteerism provide a means to expand your intellectual development and diversify your personal experiences. Volunteering can also help you define your interests and strengthen and supplement your in-class learning. It can open new pathways into new careers and help build an impressive resume. Volunteerism also provides an opportunity to meet new people with similar interests and values and affords you the chance to make a difference in your community. Every Cheyney University Honors Academy member must complete service hours each academic year.