This protocol outlines the steps Cheyney will take when an incident of bias or hate arises on our campus. Members of the Community Response Team include President’s executive leadership group, public safety and communications.
- Assess threat to safety.
- The Office of Student Health & Wellness with Cheyney Campus & Public Safety conduct threat assessments and reaches out, as required, to local police, Pennsylvania State Police, and the FBI to determine whether there are credible threats of imminent harm.
- We also work with Residence Life personnel, executive directors, and others to assess the immediate situation for alleged perpetrator(s) and alleged victim(s).
- Consider the incident pursuant to the Code of Student Conduct and other policies and laws to determine whether an investigation and referral are warranted. That process is:
- Once the investigation is complete, consider whether the facts determined by investigation (if true) would rise to the level of a violation.
- If so, refer to the appropriate disciplinary process for fact determination, adjudication, and sanctioning.
Educate and Restore
- Engage with offending individual through administrators, department faculty, chairs, Student Affairs, and Office of Student Counseling to assess harm caused, and then work with the individual on restorative justice/restitution solutions.
- Support alleged victims and concerned community through clear, direct messaging and communication condemning hate.
- Announce an immediate investigation and plans for an educational response.
- Identify campus resources.
- Provide counseling and other supportive measures.
- Consider programming to counter the incident.
- Upon learning about an incident, send separate messages tailored to students, employees, alumni, trustees, chancellor, and the wider community.
- Express concerns about reported bias-motivated behavior. Condemn hate.
- Announce an immediate investigation of the matter.
- Share resources for students affected by the incident.
- Send regular updates to various stakeholders.