Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program
The Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program, created by Act 16 of 2019, provides a waiver for tuition and mandatory fees charged by most postsecondary institutions located in the Commonwealth for youth who are or were in foster care. This waiver is associated with Pennsylvania’s John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood.
The waiver applies only to charges that remain after all other gift aid (federal, state, and other scholarships or grants) have been applied to the student’s account. Waivers can be used for up to five academic years or until the age of 26.
Point of Contact:
Assistant Director of Scholarships and Grants
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
1837 University Circle
P.O. Box 200
Cheyney, Pennsylvania 19319-0200
Tel: (610) 399-2265 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for a Fostering Independence Tuition Wavier, you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be under age 26
- Received a high school diploma or equivalent approved credential
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania’s
John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth in foster care or a youth discharged from foster care at age 16 or older (or exited foster care on or after age 16 to adoption or permanent legal custodianship).
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a postsecondary institution that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the PA Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG), as determined by the postsecondary institution
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as determined by the postsecondary institution
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund on other Title IV aid
- Have not received FosterEd waiver for 5 years (consecutive or not), defined as 10 semesters for the equivalent for undergraduate study
The full eligibility criteria can be found at PHEAA.org.
Waiver Application Process:
To apply, follow the steps below:
- File the FAFSA
- Enroll in a PA postsecondary institution approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV funding.
- You must apply for and be eligible for the Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG).
If you have questions about the Chafee Education and Training Grant, please call PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392 or email FosterEd@pheaa.org.