Merging science and entrepreneurship to create value, jobs, and technologies for the future.
Launched in 2021, this innovative collaboration unites the nation’s first independent biomedical research institute and first historically Black college and university (HBCU), with the goal of expanding life science research education, training, and business development opportunities in Pennsylvania.
Through this alliance, Cheyney students participate in Wistar’s biomedical research and training curriculum and gain hands-on experience through laboratory courses and internships that can progress into Wistar’s credentialed apprenticeship program.
- Biomedical Research Methods (BRM) course
- Cutting-edge biomedical research techniques and general cancer biology, with special emphasis on Wistar research from Dr. Maureen Murphy’s lab on African-centric variants of the p53 tumor suppressor gene.
- After completion of the BRM course, students will have opportunities to participate in summer research internships at Wistar.
- Life Sciences Innovation (LSI) course (coming soon)
- Key concepts related to intellectual property, regulatory affairs, and commercialization prepare students for employment in academic or industry laboratories.
As part of this alliance, Cheyney University also became a new member of the Philadelphia Research Consortium (PRC), through which Cheyney on-campus life science companies will be able to leverage the research and business communities coalesced around the PRC.
Cheyney will also have access to Wistar’s state-of-the-art core facilities to advance innovative research and technologies.