Perhaps more than any other University, Cheyney understands and appreciates the very real benefits of service. As the nation’s oldest Historically Black College and University, even our very founding was a community service. Today, as a premier model for academic excellence, character development and social responsibility, we continue to cultivate that spirit of service, providing abundant opportunities for students, faculty and staff to engage in programs and activities in our community.
In fact, service is embedded in our new Strategic Plan, which outlines five objectives to chart a new path forward:
- Foster a sense of social responsibility and increase community involvement within the entire Cheyney community
- Increase the capacity of the University to better serve the regional community through accessible programming
- Cultivate strong relationships with cheyney alumni
- Enhance the University’s brand and instill a sense of pride in the Cheyney community
- Increase Cheyney’s involvement in the community
That means that service isn’t just an add-on to an education. At Cheyney, it’s an integral part of shaping the whole person and laying the foundation for a successful, meaningful life.