It’s not uncommon for college students to feel overwhelmed, stressed or anxious. When harnessed positively, stress can motivate us toward our dreams and goals. But stress over a long period of time is harmful, and lead to an array of issues: anger, sadness, fear, worry, panic, depression, trouble concentrating, excessive absences, difficulty sleeping, suicidal thoughts, disruptive behavior, substance abuse, and declining grades.
To help you handle the stresses of college life, Cheyney offers individual counseling for currently enrolled students who seek assistance with:
- Personal concerns
- Emotional distress
- Interpersonal issues
- Psychological disorders
- Crisis situations
In addition, Cheyney offers family counseling and counseling services with other Cheyney students upon request. Group counseling may also be offered according to interest. Psycho-education is also available to classes by faculty request, or through student organizations and residence hall groups.
Appointments can be with Dr. Everett Dickerson via email at EDickerson@cheyney.edu.
Dr. Everett Dickerson is currently available for counseling appointments on:
Monday – 11:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M.
Tuesday – 11:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M.
Friday – 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
For All Emergencies Please Call Public Safety – 610-399-2403
Mental Health Resources
- HBCU PSA Behavioral Health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tbHQeYa5Sw
- Mental Health Ourselves Black: http://ourselvesblack.com/
- The Stress Quiz from Mental Health America: http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/stress-screener
- Healthy relationship quiz: http://www.loveisrespect.org/for-someone-else/is-my-relationship-healthy-quiz/
- Free Mental Health Apps from Insight Timer: https://insighttimer.com
- T2 Mood Tracker: https://psyberguide.org/apps/t2-mood-tracker/
- Headspace for Mindfulness: https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app
- Virtual Hope Box: www.t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/virtual-hope-box
- Hip Hop Artist and Depression: https://www.psycom.net/depression-hip-hop?slide=4#showbox
- College Mental Health: https://www.drugrehab.com/co-occurring-disorder/students-mental-health/