Bachelor of Science in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management
Welcome to the Cheyney University Hotel, Restaurant, & Tourism Management Program!
The Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management (HRTM) Program prepares confident, competent, and reflective leaders by providing students with a cutting-edge experiential education that boosts their industry knowledge, hones their decision-making and critical thinking skills, and prepares them for entry- level managerial success. The hospitality industry is the largest and fastest- growing in the world, and hospitality careers are plentiful and varied as they encompass the subsectors of hotels and lodging, food and beverage, travel and tourism, recreation and leisure, and meetings and events.
The HRTM Program at Cheyney is proudly accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA).
The HRTM Program at Cheyney provides a world class educational experience thanks to (1) critical partnerships with leading industry organizations, (2) the incorporation of industry-prevalent certifications and trainings like ServSafe Food Safety, the Certified Guest Service Professional (CGSP) designation, Supervisory Skills Builders (SSB), and the Cvent Supplier Network, and (3) our emphasis on applied learning via classroom and in-field role playing and problem-solving activities, managerial simulations like HOTELsim™, regular class trips featuring managerial Q & A’s and facility tours, the requirement of two internships, and opportunities for annual participation in co-curricular travel like the Hospitality Entrepreneurship Summit and the regional and national conferences of the National Society of Minorities in Hospitality. As well, The Cheyney Grille—our flexible, 50-seat, student managed restaurant and teaching kitchen located on the second floor of the Harris-Turner Building—combines theory and practice by regularly providing weekday breakfast and lunch options as well as offering specialty catering services to the campus and surrounding communities.
Hotel, Restaurant, & Tourism Management (HRTM) Program Mission Statement:
Students who successfully complete the Cheyney University Hotel, Restaurant, & Tourism Management (HRTM) Program will be information-literate, industry-experienced, technologically-savvy, and effective oral and written communicators, who think critically, systematically solve problems, and exhibit sound personal, social, and civic responsibility.
The Cheyney HRTM Program is expressly aligned with the following three of the University’s six strategic planning goals:
- Goal 1: Strengthen Academic Quality and Excellence
- Goal 2: Advance Student Achievement and Success
- Goal 5: Cultivate Public Engagement and Citizenship
Cheyney HRTM expects that students who successfully complete the program will exemplify the following four program learning outcomes:
- Program Learning Outcome 1: Display effective verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills.
- Program Learning Outcome 2: Utilize standard and cutting-edge technological tools to demonstrate hospitality industry knowledge.
- Program Learning Outcome 3: Illustrate critical thinking, problem solving and information literacy relevant to hospitality management.
- Program Learning Outcome 4: Meet minimum hospitality work requirement of 240 hours and exhibit personal, social and civic responsibility via the internship and field experiences.
Dr. Ivan Turnipseed, HRTM Program Coordinator